- Traidcraft Event: £1,450, Give a Tin Day: £510 for the MK Salvation Army, Poppy Appeal: £413.83, Samaritan's Purse Shoe Box Appeal: 39 gift-filled shoeboxes
Newspapers - Virginia House Stores|
- No papers on Christmas Day.
- No home delivery on Sunday 26 December or Saturday 1 January, but papers pre-ordered by 17 December will be available for collection.
- SCAN will not be published in January 2011. However, an August issue is planned for 2011 instead.
Arts and Crafts Exhibition|
- The Art and Crafts Exhibition in St Laud's Church at the end of September raised £918 for Church funds.
- 27 photos - kindly supplied by Celia and Michelle Wing.
- Michelle's bespoke jewellery can be purchased from www.michellewing.co.uk
Police 'Have Your Say' Meeting|
Pre-School OFSTED Inspection|
- Congratulations to Pre-school! The recent OFSTED inspection restored the 'GOOD' rating.
July Events: SHS Scarecrow Competition and St Laud's Flower Festival|
- Sherington Historical Society has announced the results of the 2010 Scarecrow Competion held from 10th to 17th July. Results and Photos
- St Laud's held its Flower Festival on 17th and 18th July. Thanks to Kay Turrell for supplying the photos.
Pre-School Summer Fayre - 26 June 2010|
- Update: Date has been put back to 30 September.
- The Newport Pagnell telephone exchange is one of the first in the country being enabled by BT for the new FTTC 'Fibre To The Cabinet' fast broadband service ('up to 40Mb/s'). The service uses a new fibre-optic cable from the exchange to the local Cabinet, but the old copper cables from there to the phone. The new service will be available from 11 August 2010 in parts of Sherington.
- Availability of the service (which BT call 'BT Infinity') and the actual speed performance depends on distance from the cabinet, which is at the corner of Crofts End and High Street. The 'BT line checker' is currently predicting 37Mb/s for the Manor House (opposite the cabinet), falling to 20Mb/s for the Swan and 16.2Mb/s for the School. For 8 Gun Lane it is 14.4Mb/s, but as BT will only install the service where more than 15Mb/s can be guaranteed, it looks like residents at the eastern/northeastern areas of the village may lose out.
- For comparison, 8 Gun Lane has two 'up to 8Mb/s' broadband services: O2 provides over 4.3Mb/s on one line whilst Pipex delivers 2.2Mb/s on another, BT's line checker claiming 2.5Mb/s on both lines.
New Community Shop and Post Office|
- About 120 villagers attended the meeting on 19 June to discuss the proposed new community shop. Despite a number of objections relating to the siting of the shop and its viability, a committee is being formed to take the project forward and a number of volunteers came forward to take part. The construction of the shop will cost around £300k. The Parish Council suggested that the weekly turnover might be around £8k, although the Virginia House Stores only managed £5k. The annual profit might be £17k, although the Council stated nothing could be guaranteed.
- 13 July update: Click here for details of the new Sherington Community Shop Committee (ShopCo)
Neighbourhood Police Team in Sherington|
- Updated Police webpage: meet the local neighbourhood police team, plus Mobile Police Station dates, 'Have Your Say' meetings, links to local crime statistics, Neighbourhood watch, and contact details.
MK Midnight Moo - 17 July 2010|
Paula Noble writes: I'M JOINING THE 'HERD' AGAIN FOR WILLEN HOSPICE !!
- On July 17th 2010 I will be taking part in the 'MK Midnight Moo' again, raising funds for Willen Hospice. It's a 10-mile ladies only sponsored 'midnight' walk.
- The first MK Midnight Moo, held last year was a huge success with 1,000 women taking part in what turned out to be an amazing night. Over £100,000 was raised for Willen Hospice and it is hoped that even more can be raised this year. Thank you so much to everyone who sponsored me last year.
- Willen Hospice's services are provided 24 hours a day without any cost to the patient or their families. Care is provided for people from the age of 18 and upwards. Their support extends beyond the Hospice itself where they care for over 600 patients each year. Their Day Hospice, Community Nursing and Social Care teams enable them to reach many other patients and families, friends and carers.
- The following website will enable you to donate online if you wish to:- www.justgiving.com/Paula-Noble2
- Every penny counts, so no matter how large or small, please sponsor me! Thank you very much.
2010 Parliamentary Election - 'Hustings' - Reasons for the Cancellation|
- The Parish Council has released a statement about the logistical problems in organising the 'Hustings' evening, planned for Sunday 2nd May 2010, and an explanation for its cancellation.
- Mr John Ager was been co-opted onto Sherington Parish Council.
Latest news: MKC Planning Committee granted planning permission on 27 May 2010
- The Parish Council has revised the plans for the new Village Shop and has submitted a new Planning Application to Milton Keynes Council (Ref: 10/00490/FUL). View the details here
- The building is smaller, as it no longer includes a Cafe. The roofline is 6 inches lower. The building is closer to Church Road. The shop is now at the Church Road end of the building, with the store room at the rear. A delivery bay is located at the rear. The car park is slightly larger, with 22 spaces.
- It is planned to hold another public meeting in the Village Hall on Saturday 19 June 2010 from 10.30am to 12 noon to discuss the new Village Shop proposal , where the plans and other supporting information will be on display and relevant details can be discussed. View the details here
Vacancy for a Pre-School Assistant|
- 'Build a New Life in the Country' (Series 5, programme 8) Thursday 25 March 2010 on FIVE.
- This programme featured Rebecca and Jim Constantine and the house they have been building in Gun Lane. It included brief shots of the Maypole dancing on 2009 May Bank Holiday Monday and other village scenes. Further Details. If you missed it, it is likely to be repeated on both Five and Fiver.
Sherington on Google Street View|
Virginia House Stores - Newspaper Delivery Service Arrangements|
- Click here for details from Pam and Alan Sims of the arrangements for the continuation of the Newspaper Delivery Service to Sherington and surrounding villages, following the closure of the actual shop at the end of business on 31st January 2010.
Sherington's Maypole Dancing at Discover Milton Keynes|
- Sherington's Maypole dancing is one of the events featured in Discover Milton Keynes' latest exhibition 'Traditional Milton Keynes - Looking Ahead in 2010' which runs until 28 February 2010. Discover Milton Keynes is located on the outside of the Centre:MK shopping building, about half way along the north side, next to Currys. Their opening hours are 10am - 6pm Monday to Saturday.(closed Sunday). There is a preview of the display on the Discover Milton Keynes website.
Parish Council Announcements|
- 12 March update: the planning application has been withdrawn.
- New village shop, with Post Office and cafe - Latest news, planning application, plans
Also: Village meeting on a date to be arranged in April (note: postponed from Saturday 20 March)
- Urgent councillor vacancy - Further details
- Potholes should be reported direct to Milton Keynes council (Tel: 252353 or use the online form), not the Parish Council